The attorney for a Texas teenager convicted of fatally stabbing a track athlete during a high school meet told a judge Thursday that Karmelo Anthony deserves a new trial because of errors that limited access to the proceedings.
Anthony’s attorney told a newly appointed judge that prosecutors also did not follow through with an off-the-record agreement. Defense attorney Russell Wilson said the case’s original judge allowed a “shadow docket” that kept information out of the trial. “Everything was done off the record, at an astonishing clip,” said Wilson, who didn’t represent Anthony at the criminal trial.
Anthony already won a legal victory on Wednesday when the judge who presided over his trial was removed from the case. Judge Michael Chitty was then assigned to consider the motion from Anthony’s attorneys asking for a retrial in the killing of Austin Metcalf.
But just as Black liberals everywhere certainly began to celebrate their favorite convicted killer getting a new judge and the possibly a new trial, comes this bombshell: little Karmelo was already kind of a bad dude before he killed his schoolmate Austin Metcalf. Indeed, according to prosecutor Bill Wirskye, Anthony’s girlfriend, Valeria, told school officials on the morning of April 2, 2025, that she had broken up with Anthony and that he was stalking her. About an hour later, Austin Metcalf was fatally stabbed. Wirskye also alleged that Anthony had a history of violence, fantasized in texts about stabbing someone, and had previously been placed in a Louisiana program for children with behavioral and fighting issues. Well, that's not good and it could explain Karmelo's thought process that fateful day.
RELATED: James Talarico Weighs in on Karmelo Anthony’s Conviction









